Stella Bettine

I came across this beautiful fabric by accident. The shop ran out of the fabric I'd ordered online, and offered to refund me or replace it with something of the same value. I picked this green fabric with an abstract white and black print all over it in a hurry. I felt disappointed at first, until it arrived and then fell in love with it. I only had a meter so I quickly went back and ordered a couple more.

Since then I’ve noticed just how popular this fabric is online and even heard that it might be ex Stella McCartney fabric. It has a lovely body to it and was really nice to work with.
For Christmas 2016 I made the Bettine dress by Tilly and the Buttons and chose to make the view with pockets. I decided to omit the sleeve tabs because the fabric was so bouncy I struggled to make them neatly and the print is so busy it wouldn’t be noticeable.

I love the shape of the pocket opening and the neckline and I think the slight tulip shaped skirt is really flattering. It’s just the right amount of smart meets casual and I think the fabric choice helps with that. I did want to keep this dress for special occasions but it’s so easy to wear I can’t help but put it on for work occasionally.

The top is supposed to billow over the waist band but it’s not really happening for me. My issue is that my waist falls two sizes higher than my bust and hips, and due to the loose fit I decided to only grade out one size. The fabric drapes well, but it could maybe do with a bit more movement for this style.
This is absolutely my favourite make so far. I love wearing it and I already have another Bettine cut out and waiting to be sewn up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment